As we get older there are some things that we can change to keep ourselves looking younger and that includes our hairstyle. You may not know this but some foods will actually make you have more gray hair than others while some foods will actually prevent it. There are several foods to eat to prevent gray hair, in fact, this article will talk about them. If you want to preserve the youthful look of your hairstyle, you should add these into your diet today.
The Best Foods to Prevent Hair Graying
If you’re concerned about your hairstyle and also looking young and beautiful, you should take care to eat the right food to promote your youthful appearance. A balanced diet free from smoking and drinking will help you keep your hair without gray.
If you have gray hair early in life, it could be due to a lack of vitamin B-12 or other minerals. These foods will help prevent graying and keep you looking great!
1. Walnuts – The best thing about walnuts is that, not only are they good for you, they are rich in minerals such as copper which is essential to keep your hair from going gray. In fact, copper has ties to melanin production in your hair. Melanin is the component that gives hair its color so you can see why eating foods rich in copper is important.
2. Shellfish – Eating shellfish such as shrimp or oysters can be beneficial to keeping a youthful hairstyle without gray hair. Part of the reason shellfish are suggested is because they contain high levels of zinc but that isn’t all, there’s also Omega-3 oils. Not only is this oil good for the shine in your hair, it can prevent the growth of gray hair.
3. Liver – Packed with tons of minerals and nutrients, liver contains B12 complex. B12 is essential to preventing the appearance of gray hairs because it helps you fight anemia. Also, when you get older, your ability to absorb B12 isn’t as good as it used to be, liver will help supplement your diet with this valuable nutrient.
4. Broccoli – Loaded with folic acid, broccoli can help boost the overall health of your hair and prevent graying while you’re young. This isn’t the only vegetable that you can use for this purpose either, in addition to broccoli, check out legumes or lentils.
5. Mushrooms – If you’re a fan of mushrooms, you probably already know they contain a variety of health benefits but some varieties are proven to prevent gray hair and improve the strength of your hair.
6. Chickpeas – If you’re a fan of hummus, you’re in luck, chickpeas contain large amounts of B vitamins including B9 and B12 complex. This powerful combination will prevent gray hair and give your hairstyle some added shine.
7. Chicken – Thinning of your hair and the appearance of gray hair is largely linked to vitamin deficiencies, most often involving vitamins in the B complex. Protein is especially good for keeping your B12 levels where they need to be. In fact, some recent studies have shown that adding B12 to your diet can actually reverse the process of graying or stop it all together. Chicken and other lean proteins are essential to boost the amount of B vitamins in your system.
8. Lentils – Nearly all the foods on this list have one thing in common, that they are a source of B vitamins, specifically the B9 or B12 vitamins. Lentils are no exception here. As a good source of B vitamins, lentils provide your hair with a supply of nutrients. They also increase the production of red blood cells which helps you retain hair color.
9. Spirulina – A fantastic source of copper and great for preventing graying hair, spirulina is a form of algae that is loaded with health benefits. You’ll get more copper from ingesting spirulina than any other food on this list and it is also great for your immune system.
10. Marmite – A yeast extract in the form of a spread, marmite is an acquired taste. If you want to prevent gray hair though, it may be worth a try due to the high folic acid content. If you can get past the unique aroma and taste, marmite is best served on toast, but a word of warning – it can be strong!
Vitamins are Essential to Prevent Gray Hair
When it comes to preserving your youthful appearance, your hairstyle is essential. Preventing gray hair can be easy if you know what foods to eat and what vitamins are critical to maintaining a healthy head of hair. Read through this list and maybe use it the next time you go to the market for groceries. If you can load up on foods rich in zinc, folic acid, and vitamin B complex, your hair will look amazing!
Read This Next: Tips for Sleeping Better as You Age
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com